He is Antaryami

There are infinite glories of Srila Gurudev. There a shlok: “sakshad haritvena samasta-shastrair uktas tatha bhavyata eva sadbhihi" It means that Guruji is nondifferent from God. Guru is Ashray Vigrah, Lord is Vishay Vigrah. [Supreme Lord is the enjoyer principle, jivas are the enjoyed].

The scriptures give indications and describe the Supreme Lord's appearance. If we join those together, we can get some mental pictures of what the Lord looks like, even though the real vision of that is unavailable to material eyes. However, when we could see Gurudev, even our material eyes could be used for seeing his divine form. He is so merciful he even lets those with material vision see him.

Gurudev is an actual vigrah of God. He rectifies us and helps us incorporate improvements. A long time ago I'd been on Punjab prachar and I got an opportunity to learn from Gurudev in Ludhiana, where I received his shiksha. Gurudev has so much forbearance— we cannot imagine! I saw it during Vaisakha month and was so hot that all devotees used to sleep outside. When I went to Gurudev's room, it was terribly hot. I could hardly breathe. I was astonished by how Gurudev was forbearing this and how he was looking extremely effulgent. Being in that hot room, Gurudev never complained that his room is so hot.

Once Gurudev came to where we all were staying. There were many sets of footwear that were kept outside of the entry. Out of immaturity, I pushed the footwear with my own feet. Gurudev became very angry and said, you know these are Vaishnava's footwear! Later Gurudev smilingly explained to me in detail about the significance of Vaishnava's footwear. We learn these things through his Divine association so that we may implement those teachings in our lives.

When Gurudev used to Chandigarh Math for the annual function and Ram Navami celebrations, it was flooded with devotees from North especially. Although there were not comfortable arrangements due to crowds, devotees did not complain due to their love for Gurudev.

I observed that when he was in Chandigarh, devotees were constantly coming into his room. The only time he was briefly alone is when he was taking prasad. I got this question in my mind that devotees extensively after offering pranams, so when would Gurudev get time for other activities Harinam and anhik, etc. As stated in Shastra, Gurudev can clarify all doubts of his disciples— he is omnipresent and omnipotent. These kinds of qualities are mentioned in the 11th canto of Srimad Bhagavatam.
Gurudev's sevak used to just silently keep the prasad plate in the room but never used to say devotees to move out, as in the entire year, very seldom they used to get this opportunity. Brahmacharis used to have prasad, offer seva, and lay outside. Suddenly at around 1 am, I went to the bathroom and passed by Gurudev's room and saw that he was walking from one side of the room to the other. I could see the reflection. Gurudev was very clearly chanting Hare Krishna Mahamantra. I was astonished. I often thought then, when does Gurudev ever take rest? Gurudev himself followed all regulations and taught us through his conduct.

Often when I went to Kolkata I had a lot of questions in my mind, but I could end up asking due to some unavoidable situation. Astonishingly, I experienced that whatever I used to think in my mind, Gurudev would address that topic in his Hari Katha. It is not only my experience, I believe this has been experienced by a lot of devotees. These instances show how Srila Gurudev is omniscient and omnipotent.

In 1989, I was a pujari in Chakdah math. Sometimes I used to travel to Kolkata and received darshan of Srila Gurudev, and Guruji asked when did you come? He asked about any news and expressed his concern for my welfare by asking: do you have enough money for travel? Have you taken prasad? I said yes. Gurudev asked how much for travel and I said not enough for taxi travel. Then Gurudev said, why taxi? There is a bus that goes directly to Sealdah station. Even while leaving when I offered pranams it was in my mind that I preferred taxi because the bus route was entangling and confusing, but I didn't say that to Gurudev. Then when I exited the math and was walking along the opposite road, I heard a brahmachari calling out my name. He said, did you ask some taxi fare from Gurudev? Gurudev said to give this taxi fare to Hariprasad because I know he prefers a taxi. If he takes a bus, he would get lost on the way. 

Guruji is Antaryami and Kripa-sindhu. Often when I remember this experience tears come out from my eyes even today. He has much more affection than a mother and father. I was astonished by how Gurudev got to know what I was thinking in my mind, how he is always concerned about the welfare of his disciples.

In Mayapur, I used to see that even after Parikrama, only with a handful of 4-5 devotees, Guruji used to lead Harikatha and kirtan. Likewise in Brajmandal Parikrama, Pujyapada Puri Goswami Maharaji and Guruji were always walking barefoot [because if they wore shoes and accidentally stepped on a devotee's foot it would hurt them]. He was always concerned about devotees and extremely merciful.

—Hariprasad Das (Goalpara)

spoken in Hindi on a zoom call led by Rasbihari Das, 27th April
English translation by Prahlad Das (Mumbai)
some editing was applied to the translation to facilitate readability
if you find any mistakes, please send an email to scgm.tirtha.guru@gmail.com and it will be corrected.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"She Has Gone to Goloka-dhāma "

He Accepts Every Circumstance With Utmost Humility

How Could an Eclipse Be Auspicious?