He Arrives in America on Guru-pūrṇimā, 1999

His Divine Grace Śrīla Bhakti Ballabh Tīrtha Gosvāmī Mahārāj arrived at John F. Kennedy Airport on Wednesday, July 28th, 1999 at ll:00 AM. Immediately upon arriving at the Brooklyn home of Śrīman Ramesh Naudiyal, (Bensonhurst, Brooklyn NY), a warm saṅkīrtana-ārati welcome was accorded to His Divine Grace. His arrival in America marked the auspicious day of Guru-pūrṇimā, the advent day of Śrī Kṛṣṇa Dvaipāyana Vyāsadeva, as well as the disappearance day of Śrīla Sanātana Gosvāmī. The U.S. tour of His Divine Grace Śrīla Bhakti Ballabh Tīrtha Gosvāmī Mahārāj has begun on a very auspicious note.

Last night, Mahārāj spoke on the importance of Guru-pūrṇimā and guru-tattva. Though fatigued from a long 28-hour journey from India, Śrīla Mahārāj still insisted on honoring the day and holding an evening program that began at 8:30 PM. Rousing bhajan led by Bhūtabhāvana Das preceded his talk on the importance of guru, guru-tattva and the significance of Guru-pūrṇimā. After he was prompted to finish his speech so the assembled devotees could take prasādam, Mahārāja remarked, "But I have just only laid the foundation for my talk."

Though the evening ran late, Mahārāj led an astounding bhajan invoking the entire guru paramparā called "jayā dau" (please conquer me) to end the katha. The transcendental sound of the holy name reverberated through the neighborhood as the small but fervent group of devotees chanted so enthusiastically. One of Mr. Naudiyal's interested American neighbors came with his whole family to hear Śrīla Gurudeva speak. Earlier in the week, they had told Mr. Naudiyal: "We want to see your Guru Mahārāja." Prasādam was then served to all.

Guru Mahārāja explained, "All is happening by the will of Kṛṣṇa." That evening, though he was missing the celebration of this event (Guru-pūrṇimā) in Kolkata and other maṭhas throughout India, where thousands attend, it was certainly by the will of Kṛṣṇa that he was in Brooklyn to celebrate the occasion with this small but sincere group of devotees. "I never intended to go to the West," he said.

"But my śikṣā gurudeva, Param Pūjyapāda Śrīla Bhakti Promode Puri Gosvāmī, instructed me to do so in his stead since he cannot come. He quoted to me so many words of Śrīla Bhaktisiddhānta Sarasvatī Ṭhākur to the effect that Kṛṣṇa consciousness, the saṅkīrtana movement of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, is not just for those born in India, but for human beings the whole world over. That we must travel and spread Mahāprabhu's mercy everywhere.

I thought, "Who will help me from falling down into material enjoyment if I go to the West? In India, there are so many strong god-brothers and they will always keep me strong. So how can I leave India?" This is what I was thinking. But my śikṣā gurudeva instructed me to come and to not obey his order would be an offense. So my Gurudeva Śrīla Param Pūjyapāda His Divine Grace Śrīla Bhakti Dayita Mādhava Gosvāmī Mahārāja is protecting me. "

—Puru Das

(excerpted from the archives of Vaishnava News Network, dated July 30, 1999)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"She Has Gone to Goloka-dhāma "

He Accepts Every Circumstance With Utmost Humility

Capture It in Your Heart