His First Meetings with Gurudeva

Our Radha Mohan Prabhu was clerk to my uncle who was an advocate (lawyer). When Guruji stayed at his (Radha Mohan Prabhu's) house, I wanted to see him. Sri Radha Mohan Prabhu said, "Guruji is a great saint. Because we worship Radha Krishna and Mahaprabhu at house, all devotees like us. So he is in our house. We also do not eat items that are not offered."

So, I went to see Gurudeva. Along with me was my college friend. I listened to Guruji speak there. I did not understand anything that Gurudev spoke. The language (philosophy) was totally new to me. Now I use those words, but at that time I did not know that terminology.

I used to wear shoes and have hair on my head. I was a student then. Listening to Gurudeva, I only understood that he is a Krishna Bhakta. I thought, I want Krishna Bhakti, so I'll go. I did not understand anything more than that.

Wherever Gurudev went, I followed him. After a few days, Gurudev was supposed to go to another village and a river was needed to be crossed. Now-a-days there is steamer, but that time there was only a boat. Many people from my village went there to take darsan of Gurudev. They said to me, You have inclination to hear Harikatha. Come there. We are going, and you also come there. 

My father was near to be and seeing my activities at that time. I was afraid, so I did not say anything; I was silent. Neither could I go, nor could I ask my father. I did not have enough courage to speak to my father. So many people went there, but I did not go. Later I had written a letter to Gurudev and sent it through Radha Mohan Prabhu. Guruji also replied to his address. I used to go to his place and listen to Hari katha from him.

Sometimes after I returned home from Radha Mohan Prabhu's house, my grandmother used to serve food and I used to say, "I ate there, because here the food is not offered." She used to scold me saying, "You have gone mad."

- A translation from Hindi to English of Srila Gurudeva's own narration. It was spoken in his room in Kolkata, 2010.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"She Has Gone to Goloka-dhāma "

He Could Not Allow His Disciples to Bathe His Feet

Capture It in Your Heart