He Chastises in Private As Not To Cause Shame to Anyone

My śikṣā-guru, founder of Sree Caitanya Gauḍīya Maṭh, Nityalīlā Praviṣṭa Om Bhakti Dayita Mādhava Gosvāmī Mahārāj is glorious. The jewel of his eyes and his necklace (garland) around His neck are all non-different from Him. The great personality whose disappearance we honor in this excellent ceremony today, my śikṣā-guru, Tridaṇḍī Svāmī Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Gosvāmī Mahārāj remains ever victorious. 

Once we had gone along with Mahārāj on a preaching tour to Haldia. Śrīla Trivikram Mahārāj, Ācārya Mahārāj, Yati Mahārāj and Tridaṇḍī Mahārāj had accompanied him. That program was organized by local devotees who were very poor. We stayed in a two-story, mud house. The stairs were difficult to climb, but Mahārāj was quite happy living there. 

When we were having prasād, we criticized it, saying  “This is not good, that is not good..." At that time, Mahārāj came down and chastised us. “This is a poor person’s house. They have organized this program by begging. You are getting ready-made prasād. When anything is offered to Supreme Lord it becomes prasād, transcendental—and you are criticizing it! This is mahāprasād. Honor it with that mentality.” This is his vaiṣṇava quality. I have seen it from my eyes. 

Once in Chandigarh in Sree Chaitanya Gauḍīya Maṭh, I was asked to speak in a dharma sabhā. I spoke on the topic of the dialogue of Rāmānanda Rāy with Mahāprabhu. I quoted Mahāprabhu saying, “Eho bahya, aage kao aar,”  translated in Hindi as “It’s nothing, say further." When my speech was over I received applause. After that, Mahārāja called me and corrected my mistake privately. He said “It’s not like this. Mahāprabhu didn’t say “It’s nothing," Mahāprabhu said, “It’s external." He explained this to me by giving an example also. He didn’t chastise me in public, but He rectified my mistake in private so as not to make me feel ashamed in front of others.

Mahārāja was such a great Vaiṣṇava. Today we have become bereft of His association. But Mahārāja’s teachings, his vaiṣṇava qualities, his pastimes, and his principles will remain with us. 

—Śrīpad Bhakti Prasād Parmarthi Mahārāj (disciple of Śrīla Bhakti Rakshak Śrīdhar Gosvāmī Mahārāj)

recorded at Mayapur Viraha sabhā  (2017)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"She Has Gone to Goloka-dhāma "

He Could Not Allow His Disciples to Bathe His Feet

Capture It in Your Heart