The Greatness of His Simplicity

When Guru Mahārāja visited Ukraine his programs were in a public place such as a camp near the Black Sea, like a tourist camp. So he had his own room there and after harikathā or before harikathā devotees could visit him and speak with him. Generally, it was very free, everyone could come and ask some questions and he was very happy to answer them. 

My personal experience was that when I met Guru Mahārāja in his room, he was very open. I was shocked because after association with ISKCON devotees for a long time it was very difficult to meet some Guru or talk with him. It was like an audience with some Prime Minister or President, very difficult to get. But still, when we first entered Guru Mahārāja’s room I was surprised that such a great person was at the same time very humble and he asked us, "How can I serve you?" It was very very sincere, in a very simple way. 

He replied to all the questions that we asked and we just talked. It was like a conversation with a family member, like a grandfather. Grandfather has some special affection for grandchildren even more than father and mother. So it was like talking with one’s grandfather, I had such a feeling.

He was the same all the time. Sometimes we can see that some person's mood can change when he is in a private atmosphere in a different way than in public where he behaves very great and is very serious. But I saw Guru Mahārāja always was the same. First of all, he was great, his greatness was simultaneous with his simplicity. It was amazing. I remember when I came with my wife to New Delhi, it was late at night when we came by plane. 

Then maybe at 4.30 AM we took a taxi and went to that matha at Paharganj. I forgot the way and on  in that marketplace, we were wandering there for maybe two hours or more, and different tricks tried to catch us. Different people tried to take our luggage, etc. My wife started to cry. Then finally we reached matha and I remember the feeling I had. 

It was early morning and Guru Mahārāja was in his room and the room was darkened. So when we entered his room, it was really something amazing, that atmosphere was such that we felt like we met our very close relative. My wife started to cry because on Paharganj she told me, let us go back home, let's go back to Ukraine. It was a terrible place but when she was with Guru Mahārāja, immediately everything changed. 

—Ananta Viśvaṃbhara Dāsa


Aug 20, 2023





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Accepts Every Circumstance With Utmost Humility

"She Has Gone to Goloka-dhāma "